Tree Regulation FAQs
Can I remove any tree? NO – a permit is required
- If a shade tree – call 201-569-5252 x459
- If beyond the 10 foot right-of-way call - 201-569-5252 x 445
Can I prune any tree?
- If it is a shade tree – only the borough may prune it
- If beyond the 10 foot right-of-way pruning is permitted
Who should I hire?
The state of New Jersey certifies Tree Experts provided they have taken and passed the Certified Tree License Test. This test is rigorous and thorough and once a tree worker passes it he/she is given a CTE number registered with the state.
What should I do if my tree is dead or dying?
- If the tree is within 10 feet of the curb call Yvonne Favaro 201-569-5252 x 459
- If the tree is on your property, call Lana Dimidjian 201-569-5252 x 445
- If the tree is on your neighbor’s property, call your neighbor and give him/her the appropriate number.
What should I do if someone is cutting down a tree?
Act immediately. Call the Police at 201-569-8300.
What should I do if the branches are in the power lines?
Call PSE&G at 1-800-821-6684 or Guy Vogt at 201-330-6557.
What should I do if a storm damages or topples a tree?
Call the Police at 201-569-8300 or DPW at 201-568-0242.